Digital programmable ignition for 2-stroke and 4-stroke engi

Pyro Project Ideas/Requests
dR.eXntriK
Newbie Pyro

Digital programmable ignition for 2-stroke and 4-stroke engi

Postby dR.eXntriK » Fri May 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Hey Chris! First of all I gotta mention this. You are absolutely amazing. I have been subscribing your newsletters for a couple of years now and I must say, I respect and admire your interest and dedication to pyroelectro.com. You've made amazing projects here and not to forget the step by step procedure that you have written in a simple yet understandable way. You are just one of a kind.

Now coming to the project, this is a request for you to build a digital programmable/mapable ignition system for a two stroke engine.
1.) An ignition system controls the time at which a spark is generated inside an engine. In the earlier days it was done using points system. All details here: Click here
2.) There are two types of electronic ignition Capacitive discharge ignition and Transistorized coil ignition. The circuit diagram, code and schematic for both of these can be found here.
3.) That is an old one with old components. Can you modernize it by making it suitable for multi cylinder engines where spark must be generated at different times for different cylinders.
4.) Can you make it USB programmable and design it to take input from various sensors like RPM sensor, throttle position sensor etc.
5.) Once it is designed for a two stroke, it is very simple to change it to a four stroke.
It MUST be cheap! There are digital ignitions available in the market and they are somewhere between 400-600$.
6.) Can you also mention about alternate open hardware boards that can be used for this purpose

Thank you for reading till here patiently. I look forward to hear from you soon

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Re: Digital programmable ignition for 2-stroke and 4-stroke

Postby ThePyroElectro » Fri May 30, 2014 5:42 pm

dR.eXntriK wrote:Hey Chris! First of all I gotta mention this. You are absolutely amazing. I have been subscribing your newsletters for a couple of years now and I must say, I respect and admire your interest and dedication to pyroelectro.com. You've made amazing projects here and not to forget the step by step procedure that you have written in a simple yet understandable way. You are just one of a kind.

Now coming to the project, this is a request for you to build a digital programmable/mapable ignition system for a two stroke engine.
1.) An ignition system controls the time at which a spark is generated inside an engine. In the earlier days it was done using points system. All details here: Click here
2.) There are two types of electronic ignition Capacitive discharge ignition and Transistorized coil ignition. The circuit diagram, code and schematic for both of these can be found here.
3.) That is an old one with old components. Can you modernize it by making it suitable for multi cylinder engines where spark must be generated at different times for different cylinders.
4.) Can you make it USB programmable and design it to take input from various sensors like RPM sensor, throttle position sensor etc.
5.) Once it is designed for a two stroke, it is very simple to change it to a four stroke.
It MUST be cheap! There are digital ignitions available in the market and they are somewhere between 400-600$.
6.) Can you also mention about alternate open hardware boards that can be used for this purpose

Thank you for reading till here patiently. I look forward to hear from you soon

Thanks for the kudos and....Wow. Big idea!

The schematic is pretty small which makes things easier. You could pick-up a pic18F dev board from olimex, or anywhere pretty much, and just start updating the CCS code to the XC8 compiler. Which would be a good first step. Adding USB is trickier because that means you need to build a software program to talk to the PIC. If you don't have prior experience with a PIC, I'd recommend against desiring this 'USB' feature. RS232 might be a better option.

I'll give it some thought but that is no easy task, especially since I don't really have any good way to test it out.

dR.eXntriK
Newbie Pyro

Postby dR.eXntriK » Sat May 31, 2014 10:15 am

Hey thanks for the reply Chris!
You took one look and told me about the first steps right away! AMAZING!
I just asked for the USB because it would be easier to tune the timing curve on-the-fly. By having a USB I could just hook up the board to a laptop and take data and/or tune it right away without having to take it out of the vehicle and then tune it. With a serial port its possible but just a teeny weeny bit complex. I'll manage that, thanks!

Also:
1.) If there were 2 cylinders/spark plugs, what changes must I make inorder to trigger each spark plug alternately.
2.) If you are really going to give it a "thought" :D then you could build a Test Jig to test how it works.
3.) Please do give it a thought :roll: . If not then PLEASE atleast give me the complete list of parts and a CCS code. A better one with more flexibility and a bit tuner friendly 8) :P . Such that it can export the timing values to a excel file (spread sheet) and the tuner can change the timing just by changing values in the excel spread sheet :lol: . If possible also let me know as to how I can connect multiple sensors(RPM sensor) to it!

Thanks mate!

dR.eXntriK
Newbie Pyro

Postby dR.eXntriK » Sat May 31, 2014 4:37 pm

The website [url]randomexploits.com[/url] has a lot of information. but unfortunately is down now. You can see a cached copy of the site where he has spoken about his project with the Aprilla ECU but no images!

Return to “Request-a-Project”