Introduction to microcontrollers.

Talk about the fourth PyroEDU course here.
tsme
Newbie Pyro

Introduction to microcontrollers.

Postby tsme » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:07 am

Q1. There are two main answers to this question: number one answer is to exercise my mind and hopefully keep it agile:
number two is to learn something about the AVR microcontrollers since my son bought me a Mr Tidy robot and the
documentation is abysmal, so I want to learn more about programming the controllers.

Q2. Write my own applications from scratch. To get Mr Tidy working how I want him. My experience has been in analogue
electronics which I would ultimately marry with controllers to develop my own sensing circuits..it's a plan anyway.

Q3. I have spent some considerable time and money on PIC micro s over the last decade or so but my efforts have had little
continuity, so I have garnered only a superficial understanding of them. I have
modified others' programming efforts but have only written short and simple code of my own.

PS
I have posted this as a new topic accidentally...can admin move it to the appropriate "reply" position for micro homework please.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Re: Introduction to microcontrollers.

Postby ThePyroElectro » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi Tsme!

Glad you're here, I hope this course helps you on your quest.

stigtheghost
Newbie Pyro

Postby stigtheghost » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:46 am

Help! I think i have it set up all correctly It says avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 I selected com6, programmer port USBTinyISP and Board Uno but i do have alot of problems with my PC ASUS with win8.1 detecting and working with some USB devices so i will try my Mac

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:28 pm

stigtheghost wrote:Help! I think i have it set up all correctly It says avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 I selected com6, programmer port USBTinyISP and Board Uno but i do have alot of problems with my PC ASUS with win8.1 detecting and working with some USB devices so i will try my Mac

Hello,

Are you using the CP2102 usb-to-serial converter that we are using in the videos?

The error you are getting is because the Tx/Rx lines are not connected properly, so your PC cannot talk to the microcontroller.

This can be due to
[1] not powering up the microcontroller // connecting power/ground improperly
[2] not connecting Tx-> Rx and Rx -> Tx properly
[3] not connecting ground or DTR properly
[4] not installing the correct driver for your usb-to-serial converter

Please take a photo of your setup and upload it to somewhere like imgur.com and share it with us to help you debug your setup!

stigtheghost
Newbie Pyro

Postby stigtheghost » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:42 pm

ok after a sleepless night of dreaming of my microcontroller I realized I had a OSEPP FTDI Breakout Board lying around I used for other microchips and tried it the same way and it works :) I did not see the user light working on the UART board so ill try what you said and it also works :) yea happy days again!

Thanks the UART USB board in the video also works now too

oh so I found this OSEPP FTDI Breakout Board at frys but only some frys will have it but it does also work

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:28 pm

stigtheghost wrote:ok after a sleepless night of dreaming of my microcontroller I realized I had a OSEPP FTDI Breakout Board lying around I used for other microchips and tried it the same way and it works :) I did not see the user light working on the UART board so ill try what you said and it also works :) yea happy days again!

Thanks the UART USB board in the video also works now too

oh so I found this OSEPP FTDI Breakout Board at frys but only some frys will have it but it does also work

Great! Glad it works now.

Return to “Introduction to Microcontrollers”