IMU help

Pyro Project Ideas/Requests
nawres102
Newbie Pyro

IMU help

Postby nawres102 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:44 am

Hi :)...

At 1st I want to thank you for your efforts in DIY world you are really inspired me and my team...
and I duplicate some of your projects like 10A-H bridge ...
and want to thank you for that time and efforts spend on describe the projects to us so BIG THANKS...
and I see the "TTL Tilt Sensor" project and I'm working on 3D motion capture suit (MOCAP suit) and I have 6DOF razor IMU and ardIMU+ v2 sensors and ARDUINO mega but my programing experience is not so good to get the analog readings from the sensors...
SO I ask you :-
can you make a tutorial to get the analog readings from IMUs without software ?
(i.e) make the sensor give us analog readings for 6 axis as different six pins each of pins gives 0-5v depending on the position and orientation of sensor (i.e)

X position
Y position
Z position

X rotation
Y rotation
Z rotation

and I know that you are the man :)
so thanks again and waiting for replay

Dr.Nawres

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Re: IMU help

Postby ThePyroElectro » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:41 am

nawres102 wrote:Hi :)...

At 1st I want to thank you for your efforts in DIY world you are really inspired me and my team...
and I duplicate some of your projects like 10A-H bridge ...
and want to thank you for that time and efforts spend on describe the projects to us so BIG THANKS...
and I see the "TTL Tilt Sensor" project and I'm working on 3D motion capture suit (MOCAP suit) and I have 6DOF razor IMU and ardIMU+ v2 sensors and ARDUINO mega but my programing experience is not so good to get the analog readings from the sensors...
SO I ask you :-
can you make a tutorial to get the analog readings from IMUs without software ?
(i.e) make the sensor give us analog readings for 6 axis as different six pins each of pins gives 0-5v depending on the position and orientation of sensor (i.e)

X position
Y position
Z position

X rotation
Y rotation
Z rotation

and I know that you are the man :)
so thanks again and waiting for replay

Dr.Nawres

Hi,

I'm not sure I quite understand. You don't want to use software but you still want to be able to get the analog voltage values. How did you want to get the analog voltage values? If you don't want to use software and are happy with the voltage values showing up on 7-segment display LEDs you could use a simple A/D like a MAX150, pulse it with a 555 timer to tell it to convert many times a second, then use some 7-segment display drivers to display each of the 4-bit chunks from the A/D. But that really sounds like a hack-job.

If you embrace writing firmware for a microcontroller, you'll save yourself a lot of grief. Add some buffers between the sensors and the microcontroller, then use the microcontroller's A/D to capture the value and pass it onto wherever it needs to go. You can also get all digital IMU's that don't have any analog outputs, that way you can work purely in the digital domain and not have to worry about messing up an RF nastiness.

Good luck!

Chris @ PyroElectro.com

nawres102
Newbie Pyro

Postby nawres102 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi Chris ... :)

I was send you e-mail answering you but you looks like not read it yet...:(
SO I ask you to make tutorial about using 6 DOF razor IMU without software to get analog readings as 0-5v from each axis pin of IMU
THANKS in advanced
and waiting for replay Chris :)
thanks again...

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Thu May 03, 2012 7:53 pm

nawres102 wrote:Hi Chris ... :)

I was send you e-mail answering you but you looks like not read it yet...:(
SO I ask you to make tutorial about using 6 DOF razor IMU without software to get analog readings as 0-5v from each axis pin of IMU
THANKS in advanced
and waiting for replay Chris :)
thanks again...

Hi,

I did receive your e-mail, however I did not understand your output requirements. I suggested a simple solution using 7segment LED displays. I'm not excited about the idea of using all hardware as you have suggested because you can do exactly what you require with 1 IC and much less time if you embrace using FPGA or microcontroller.

The hardware-only solution will take much, much longer to design, build and test. But I did e-mail you a possile hardware-only solution based off of the Tilt Sensor project I created.

Good luck!

nawres102
Newbie Pyro

Postby nawres102 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:48 pm

OK Chris
I have 2 types of IMUs the 6 DOF razor from sparkfun and ardIMU+ V2 and its magnetometer which can be attached to it (ardIMU+ V2) via I2C to become 9 DOF but I don't have the programing experience to do that ...
SO can you help me in the arduino programing ?

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Thu May 03, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi,

Since the ardIMU+ V2 already has a microcontroller on it, it's best to start with that device. And there is already a large following of people who use that device:
http://code.google.com/p/ardu-imu/downloads/list

First you will need to be able to connect the ardIMU to your computer. Either through RS232 or using an FTDI Serial-to-USB converter (there are 6 holes in the side of the board, meant for a header to be soldered in so you can access the GND/TX/RX serial data pins on the AVR microcontroller). After that you can program the ardIMU with the software found in the above link, similarly you can use their desktop utility to talk to the ardIMU board and see sensor data in real-time.

This will take some work and trial & error, but the ardIMU is very powerful and worth the time invested to get it working.

Return to “Request-a-Project”