Wanted counter circuit

Pyro Project Ideas/Requests
Digitaldude
Newbie Pyro

Wanted counter circuit

Postby Digitaldude » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi All New to this Forum looks Awesome, hope to be of help as well, However I am looking for a Digital 6 Digit (or more) counter module that has leading zero blanking and retains a memory after power has been removed, I dont want battery backup so needs to be (I Guess) and EEPROM or some discription I could probably use a PICAXE but i am not the programming type, ANY help is appreciated, thanks for your time.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Hello,

Anything that should hold storage when powered off will require programming. There are ways to do it purely with digital logic circuits, but getting better at microcontroller programming would still be the easier route.

The main display circuit could use LCD modules like you see in stop watches, which are pretty common and fairly easy to use, 7 segment LED displays are another option. 7 seg LED displays go perfectly with 74LS47 decoders, something to look into.

In my mind the main flow of this system would be:
PIC/PICAXE -> Display Decoder -> Display

The PICAXE would control the timing and the counting while also writing the count value to its flash program memory which holds the count as a permanent value.

If you're new to this type of stuff, it will take some time to get the system into working shape. But don't fear getting started, ask questions if you have them.

Digitaldude
Newbie Pyro

digital counter

Postby Digitaldude » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:43 am

HI Thanks for your reply, much appreciated, yeah figured id have to use a picaxe or uP of some sort, trouble is i do not know where to start or even how to program a picaxe, Cheers

Return to “Request-a-Project”