Basic Robotic Movement

Pyro Tutorial Ideas/Requests
Captain_Crunch
Newbie Pyro

Basic Robotic Movement

Postby Captain_Crunch » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:35 am

Very cool website you have here! I had an idea for a computer controlled lever of sorts, that maybe you can help me with? I would like to have a hot wheels race car on a small platform, with a curved track below the platform. Then, I would like to be able to release the platform using my computer.

I drew up a very crude sketch of what I was hoping to do. I'm hoping it is basic enough, and a good starting point for me to learn a few things about computer controlled robotics.

Would this be something I could make myself, and reasonably cheap? I'm new to robotics and PIC programming, but I love to learn and I think something like this would be incredibly fun to do!
Last edited by Captain_Crunch on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain_Crunch
Newbie Pyro

Postby Captain_Crunch » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:38 am

I have drawn up a sketch of what I am hoping to make, but I can't post URLs until I have 5 posts and have been a member for at least 2 days. I've got 5 posts, but I guess I'll have to wait 2 days before I can post my image.

Can I PM you my sketch drawing?

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:42 pm

Not sure if that'll work, you can just upload is somewhere on the web and pm me a link.

or e-mail: help [at] pyroelectro [dot] com

[at] = @
[dot] = .

(I'm just trying to keep the damn spam bots from getting that address =D.

I'd be interested to see it. I just got internet where I'm living now so I'm hoping to have more updates soon on the main site.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:23 pm

Captain_Crunch wrote:Here ya go:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6466/racecarhc8.gif

The blue part is the platform, and I need that to be controlled by my computer somehow. Just needs to drop or release the platform so the car will be taken away by gravity!

If I can get a working platform to drop, my ultimate goal is to build 2 epic hot wheels tracks in my basement. If I can control both platforms via computer, I can release a car on each of the 2 tracks and have them race! My son must have miles of track in the basement, so he can give me a hand!

Haha. Sounds awesome enough. Building something to do this wouldn't be too terribly difficult but it'd take some time. I'll post another reply here detailing out one method for doing this when I get home from work.

How much electronics experience do you have?

Captain_Crunch
Newbie Pyro

Postby Captain_Crunch » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:37 pm

I'm not too advanced with electronics. Lately I've been making some LED based lamps and light bars for fun. So I have some experience with electrical power, but almost nothing when it comes to ICs and circuit board design.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:32 pm

Hey,

So all you really need is something to actuate that piece of track & some supports.

The supports can be built out of wood, metal or whatever, they're just there to hold the track, electronics and motor in place. For this project it'd be best to use some kind of electric motor for actuating the track.

:arrow: A servo motor would be the easiest for this implementation (in terms of hardware) but it would be a little more control software intensive.

:arrow: A geared DC-Motor is another option, you'd need a Motor controller so the hardware circuitry is a little more involved. The control software would be easier though.

:arrow: A stepper motor could be used as well. This would require more complex control hardware & software depending on the motor controller you use.

The circuitry can be controlled by a micro controller (tiny processor~ARM/PIC/AVR/ARUDINO) which also communicates with your computer through Serial//Parallel//USB//Audio//IR...your choice really.

That's a basic high level view of some options for this project. I'm probably making it sound more complex then it really is :P .

Captain_Crunch
Newbie Pyro

Postby Captain_Crunch » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:55 am

yiikes!

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:40 pm

Hehe.

Yea, perhaps that's a little too involved. You could also do it with only hardware and just have a button on the wall that you press to let the tracks down. If you went that way & got rid of the microcontroller it would be a little easier.

I could draw up a design for that pretty quick. It would be mostly standard electronic components. :D

Captain_Crunch
Newbie Pyro

Postby Captain_Crunch » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:48 am

Simple! Arduino, with Servo motor! Took < 10 mins!

jack_kim
Newbie Pyro

Multi_servos

Postby jack_kim » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Please help

i am a project that part of it requires to control position of a robotic arm.

for the project i have to control the rotating angle of the servos respectively by command from a computer.

i have looked at your tutorial and i understand that the duty cycle of each servos are initialised and can not be update from computer

can you give me some hints how can i control servos from comp please!!!

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:20 am

Hi Jack,

You can control and rotate the servos after initialization. You just need to have some kind of input to tell when and where servo output should change.

This project utilizes this ideology:
http://www.pyroelectro.com/projects/robotic_arm/

Return to “Request-a-Tutorial”