Help in design for a recoil recording device

Pyro Project Ideas/Requests
tune2at
Newbie Pyro

Help in design for a recoil recording device

Postby tune2at » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:12 pm

I am currently testing different ways to record the difference in recoil of rifles with and without muzzle breaks. I've tried spring resistance on a sled on rails. And a weighted sled without the spring. Both leave me with too much variation shot to shot. I've located this ADXL377BCPZ-RL7 accelerometer that seems to be able to measure these kinds of forces. I have also looked for schematics on how to construct a simple recording circuit to no avail. It need not be really elaborate or expensive as I have very shallow pockets. I have a hand held o-scope that I believe can record the output but no expertize in design.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Re: Help in design for a recoil recording device

Postby ThePyroElectro » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:19 am

tune2at wrote:I am currently testing different ways to record the difference in recoil of rifles with and without muzzle breaks. I've tried spring resistance on a sled on rails. And a weighted sled without the spring. Both leave me with too much variation shot to shot. I've located this ADXL377BCPZ-RL7 accelerometer that seems to be able to measure these kinds of forces. I have also looked for schematics on how to construct a simple recording circuit to no avail. It need not be really elaborate or expensive as I have very shallow pockets. I have a hand held o-scope that I believe can record the output but no expertize in design.

Any oscilloscope that can record voltages in real time (most bench-top or USB oscilloscope can do this) will be able to give you data points from the accelerometer. You can then put this data into matlab or excel and extrapolate the detected acceleration vectors which you can integrate down to velocity & position vectors to help with your full recoil analysis.

The alternative to an oscilloscope is to buy an off the shelf data-logger or to build a data logger by yourself.

Return to “Request-a-Project”