Basic IR Transmitter and Receiver

Pyro Project Ideas/Requests
raines80
Newbie Pyro

Basic IR Transmitter and Receiver

Postby raines80 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:11 am

I am not even sure I should use IR, but here is what I am trying to do.

I want to create a device (multiple devices) that would act like a laser tag gun and suit. I would like the device to send a signal out (10-40yds) to another device at the touch of a button. I was thinking IR would be best cause I want it to be line of site.

I think this part might be programming-
I need each device to have an ID. Lets call device 1 Alpha and device 2 Bravo. Alpha shoots Bravo and logs that it has killed Bravo. Bravo logs that it has been killed by Alpha. I would than like it to be able to download that data to a computer.

It would be like a game of tag, but only playable if you have the device.

Any suggestions in which way I should head with this? I am reading your tutorial on Infrared IR Receivers, but you use a Directv remote as the sending device... so I think it would just confuse me. I am a graphic designer by trade so all the technology stuff is kind of overwhelming me.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Re: Basic IR Transmitter and Receiver

Postby ThePyroElectro » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:47 am

raines80 wrote:I am not even sure I should use IR, but here is what I am trying to do.

I want to create a device (multiple devices) that would act like a laser tag gun and suit. I would like the device to send a signal out (10-40yds) to another device at the touch of a button. I was thinking IR would be best cause I want it to be line of site.

I think this part might be programming-
I need each device to have an ID. Lets call device 1 Alpha and device 2 Bravo. Alpha shoots Bravo and logs that it has killed Bravo. Bravo logs that it has been killed by Alpha. I would than like it to be able to download that data to a computer.

It would be like a game of tag, but only playable if you have the device.

Any suggestions in which way I should head with this? I am reading your tutorial on Infrared IR Receivers, but you use a Directv remote as the sending device... so I think it would just confuse me. I am a graphic designer by trade so all the technology stuff is kind of overwhelming me.

Hi Raines,

Yes, this stuff can get pretty over-whelming extremely quickly.

The project you have outlined is not impossible, but it will take time and learning for you to do it.

Infrared is indeed a line-of-site type of communication given that it uses light to travel. You can find very narrow angle and very powerful Infrared emitter LEDs, which would be perfect for the 'gun' part of your system.

For the receiver side of your system, you will need an infrared detector and some amplifiers. The example I made that you were looking at had no amplifiers, so the remote needed to be very close to the photo-transistor receiver.

IR receivers in TVs typically use a module like this:
http://www.pyroelectro.com/parts/ir_recv_mod/
Which does a few things: it receives the infrared signal, demodulates it (carrier frequency @ 38 KHz) and amplifies the signal. So these little modules can capture a remote control's signal from 10-20 yards away just like your TV does.

Given all these things I just told you, if you wanted to be quick and dirty to get something working, you could just hack together a TV remote control as the 'gun', you'd only ever press 1 button on the control to fire. Then use one of the IR modules like I showed you with a PIC or Arduino system to 'understand' which infrared pulse (remote control button press) was received, then log it and continue on with the game.

That's probably a lot to digest. Did I answer your main questions? I hope I did :D .

:: EDIT ::

This sounds like a fun project to do, I might have to put it on my to-do list :lol: .

raines80
Newbie Pyro

Re: Basic IR Transmitter and Receiver

Postby raines80 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:32 pm

Thank you so much for the info!!! And yes... it really does help me to get started in the right direction.

I was reading somewhere else that I need something that will cut the IR off when you release the button. I would prefer something that only allows the IR to keep going for 3 seconds or so (even if the button is still depressed). I don't want people to be able to use it like a machine gun.. more like a rifle.

Eventually, the device would have vibration alerts and blinking light alerts that will tell the player that someone in the area also has the device on them. I am not even sure if this is possible... some sort of proximity alarm. Like I said though... that is something I planned on looking into later on after I have working model of the basic system.

Thank you again for the help!!! I am already sifting through a bunch electronic sites to see what I need to get this done.

Return to “Request-a-Project”