Pickup coil winder

Pyro Project Ideas/Requests
sputnik
Newbie Pyro

Pickup coil winder

Postby sputnik » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:09 am

I have a very basic coil winder for guitar pickups. The winder is driven from a small DC motor with variable rpm. The coil traverse which distributes the wire across the pickup is driven by a small DC motor with a gear box. Max rpm is 70. This motor drives a threaded rod that moves a carriage. There are adjustable end stops on the carriage that contact momentary switches to change the direction of the traverse and spread the wire. Pretty basic. I need better control to wind accurately matched humbucker coils. The thread pitch on the traverse screw is 1.5 mm. The wire that I am winding is 0.06 mm. Therefore I need 25 turns of the winder motor for each turn of the traverse motor to get a neat coil. I thought about gearing and doing this mechanically, but it is a problem given the change of direction of the traverse and the need to momentarily slow the winder motor each time the traverse changes direction to stop excessive coil build up at the ends. It also presents a problem in that some pickups are different heights and therefore the travel of the traverse has to change. The challenges are:

Synchronize the winder and traverse motor at a ratio of 25 : 1
Momentarily slow the winder motor each time the traverse changes direction.
Give me readout of rpm and total number of turns on the coil.
I wouldn't mind being able to pre-set the number of turns so the machine can turn itself off once it has reached its target, but that is a wish, not a must have.
I have a simple circuit to change the traverse direction, a revolution counter using a hall effect sensor and a couple of spare Arduino Uno's and a 2 line LCD screen.

Please also bear in mind that I am a beginner ( hobby guitar maker really) and any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks for your input.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Re: Pickup coil winder

Postby ThePyroElectro » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:07 pm

sputnik wrote:I have a very basic coil winder for guitar pickups. The winder is driven from a small DC motor with variable rpm. The coil traverse which distributes the wire across the pickup is driven by a small DC motor with a gear box. Max rpm is 70. This motor drives a threaded rod that moves a carriage. There are adjustable end stops on the carriage that contact momentary switches to change the direction of the traverse and spread the wire. Pretty basic. I need better control to wind accurately matched humbucker coils. The thread pitch on the traverse screw is 1.5 mm. The wire that I am winding is 0.06 mm. Therefore I need 25 turns of the winder motor for each turn of the traverse motor to get a neat coil. I thought about gearing and doing this mechanically, but it is a problem given the change of direction of the traverse and the need to momentarily slow the winder motor each time the traverse changes direction to stop excessive coil build up at the ends. It also presents a problem in that some pickups are different heights and therefore the travel of the traverse has to change. The challenges are:

Synchronize the winder and traverse motor at a ratio of 25 : 1
Momentarily slow the winder motor each time the traverse changes direction.
Give me readout of rpm and total number of turns on the coil.
I wouldn't mind being able to pre-set the number of turns so the machine can turn itself off once it has reached its target, but that is a wish, not a must have.
I have a simple circuit to change the traverse direction, a revolution counter using a hall effect sensor and a couple of spare Arduino Uno's and a 2 line LCD screen.

Please also bear in mind that I am a beginner ( hobby guitar maker really) and any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks for your input.

Could you post a picture or link to a picture of the Arduino UNO hardware setup you currently have? This project does sound do-able. I'm just curious how your sensors are setup and connected to the Arduino right now so I might be able to give you better advice.

sputnik
Newbie Pyro

Postby sputnik » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:03 am

Hi,
I have not been using the arduino at all yet and I have taken the winder apart to start the mechanical upgrades that I have figured out to improve the mechanism. The control system I have is very simple. A PWM for the winder motor speed and a PWM for the traverse motor. The traverse carriage that distributes the wire is made from 12 mm acrylic with a 10 mm threaded rod through it to move it. It has a M6 bolt on either side and these can be adjusted in and out to control the width of the traverse. As the carriage travels one way, one bolt hits a microswitch and the motor changes direction and reverses the carriage. When the other bolt hits the other microswitch, it switches back to the first direction. This is controlled by a simple circuit I made using an IXD1604 chip to remember the last input and a couple of resistors. The only other piece of kit on the winder is a digital counter that takes its input from a hall effect sensor triggered by a magnet on the winder shaft so I can count the total number of turns. So, as far as the control set up with the Arduino is concerned, it is pretty much a clean slate. The end result I am after would have a functionality similar to the machine on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye_pUOLggMM
I can still control the extents of the travers using microswitche, but i would like a readout of the total number of turns and the rpm. However, this is very similar to what I started out trying to build.

sputnik
Newbie Pyro

Postby sputnik » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:13 am

I think I have this one sorted. I have put in stepper motors as these allow easier control over the speed - 1 pulse to 25 - and this should make it relatively simple. I will try and sort out the required Arduino sketch to give me the control I need. I also have a Displaytech 162F display for the readout. Any advice on the Ardunio sketch would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

adolfainsley8
Newbie Pyro

Postby adolfainsley8 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:28 am

This project does sound do-able. I'm just curious how your sensors are setup and connected to the Arduino right now so I might be able to give you better advice???

== crossword puzzles ==

Return to “Request-a-Project”