a new mechanism for pistol trigger

Pyro Project Ideas/Requests
lapata
Newbie Pyro

a new mechanism for pistol trigger

Postby lapata » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:26 pm

hello ..i need to build some sort of mechanism for a 9mm pistol which will pull the trigger by itself..ie..i do not have to press the trigger by myself..the mechanism shud press the trigger and shoot with an interval of 15 seconds ...and this should go on till the pistol runs out of bullets:P... how should i go about this?

this mechanism should be compact and can either be attached onto the grip of the pistol or can be placed at a distance from the trigger with the pistol mounted on some stand ...

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Sounds dangerous. I'll just assume you're talking about a 9mm airsoft pistol.

The easiest way would be to have some type of mechanical fixture to hold the airsoft pistol in place and then use a hobby servo with a long servo arm to press the trigger over and over. Depending on the stiffness of the trigger, you may need a stronger servo with more torque/power.

You could then control the servo using a standard hobby transmitter/receiver. It would basically be plug and play once you have the mechanical fixture to hold everything in place.

And there is your remote control airsoft pistol, buy maybe not as cool as the tupperware turret?

lapata
Newbie Pyro

Postby lapata » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:24 pm

hello...thnx for an enlightened reply...can i get the hobby servo to suit my requirement of torque so as to cater to the stiffness of the trigger....?
also..i do not want to control the servo ..just mount the pistol on something..and have the mechanism pull the trigger every 15 seconds with the pistol in the position and orientation not changing..

i need more answers with regards to starting this project...where do i attach the hooby servo...linkages ..levers etc...length of these..etc...

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:02 am

Hi Lapata,

Yes, there's definitely strong enough servos out there, but you have the airsoft pistol and know how 'hard' the trigger is. So you would have to do the measurement.

This Servo Control tutorial shows you how to use a microcontroller to set programmed movements for a servo motor. That way you could pull the trigger X amount of times programmatically and start/stop the program.

As for the linking/levers mechanical part of the design, that's really up to you to design. You can use wood and nails to build an airsoft pistol mount and add the servo to it. All Hobby Servos come with 4 screws for mounting the servo onto your platform.

You could get away with tying a piece of string (perhaps wishing wire) to the trigger and to your servo. The servo would just pull the string again and again, think a little bit and draw something up, then start building it.

Return to “Request-a-Project”