Project wanted .. a sound spectrum analyzer that uses a vga

Pyro Project Ideas/Requests
vicm
Newbie Pyro

Project wanted .. a sound spectrum analyzer that uses a vga

Postby vicm » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:01 am

How about a sound spectrum analyzer that can use a vga monitor ?

I've built quite a few sound spectrum analyzers that use LEDs and a few IC's but am new to MCU for the most part. ( for the novice, it's LEDs that are situated by frequency bands that react to levels of volumes on those tone ranges). Like a LED VU meter for each band of frequencies.

I was thinking of bars of colors for say 8 to 10 bands, maybe more if not over work. bars running vertical using a standard EQ freqs ( as an example ) of 32, 64, 125, 250, 500, 1K ,2K, 5K, 10K , not much use above that since adult males generally can't hear 10K or more, and mostly hiss anyway. And uses Line Level from your sound source supporting stereo signal in. - - maybe showing stereo spectrum on the VGA (if low graphics permit) ?!?

Using basic VGA would mean a cool effect for any TV or old LCD monitor that supports VGA input, Since I work with Home audio studio, a display of this nature would be a great addition to processing the mixed sounds, also a great lighting show when watching my DVD concerts.

This is something that would be used by the masses, since everyone listens to music . . . Let's Do It !!

What's your thoughts ??
come on pyro .. this is probably a piece of cake for you ! :lol:

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:39 am

Hey vicm.

I've actually been wanting to do something similar to this for a while now. I just can never figure out which center frequencies to design for. I'm guessing you pulled your suggestions off of Itunes or Winamp, seems like a good enough start.

I'll take a look into making something like this, either through FPGA or Microcontroller.

Thanks for the suggestion. Keeps me motivated.

vicm
Newbie Pyro

really?

Postby vicm » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:50 pm

I don't have itunes, and didn't know winamp offers vga monitoring...

I'm old school, as a senior I was learning the basic of vacuum tubes..
and IC's were no where to be found, the 1st 4 digit calculator was $399 and only did + - X / , and no memory, used a weird battery... Radio shack was truly a Parts shack, and Gas was $.32.9 everywhere (except in Death valley which was $.49.9, and we thought NO one will ever pay .50 a gallon!), school was 2 miles away, up hill, both ways, and walked it everyday - and Nixon wasn't a crook yet.. hahaha

I can provide capacitor values for normal IC circuits (9 bands), if that would help break out the freq bands.

Does winamp offer a vga spectrum monitoring??

vicm
-----

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Wow, old-school indeed. I wish my education could have been from that era. Colleges have really gone down hill in the teaching of basic electronics knowledge.

Anyway, the design I have in mind is using a few op-amps for two 3rd filters. One filter for the higher frequencies and one filters for the lower frequencies. I'd do A/D sampling at specific frequencies from the filter output and use an FFT to split the frequencies up into the different bands.

Most of the popular audio programs (windows media payer/itunes/quicktime/winamp) offer some form of spectrum monitoring in the form of an audio equalizer w/ many different types of visualizations. Additionally, they let you play with the gains for each band.

vicm
Newbie Pyro

right ON..

Postby vicm » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:23 pm

I use OPs but don't use FFT. I generally use a couple TL064/74/84s and some times LM324. (same pinout), but think TL0xx do a better job.

SO it sounds like you got a plan .. ecellent

vicm

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:35 pm

Vicm,

Yeah, give me some time and I'll show a working design with some software. The only op-amps I have laying around in bulk at the moment are microchip's MCP6022, so I'll design using those.

Return to “Request-a-Project”