Battery powered DirectTV auto channel changer

Pyro Project Ideas/Requests
mr_vodka
Newbie Pyro

Battery powered DirectTV auto channel changer

Postby mr_vodka » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi I have searched the net but couldnt find a product that would do what I am looking for exactly.

Basically, I am looking for a simple RF transmitter for a DirectTV receiver that would change it to a specific channel at specific time intervals. For example something like every 30 minutes it changes it to channel 650 or something.

I did read up on IR Blasters, however most of these seem to be for connection to a computer ( no computer in the room ) or another option of Wifi but that would require a plug into a wall.

What I would like is a battery powered option where it would change the channel every few minutes to a channel and time interval designated by me.

Thank you for looking.

-John

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi Mr. Vodka,

In this case, it actually would be easier just to make a small device that could press the channel number and then enter on the remote, rather than creating a device that sends the same signals as the remote.

You could do this pretty easily by taking apart the remote control....

The PCB board (green one) has all the buttons, you could solder a microcontroller's output pins to the keypad and enter buttons and then program it to send a +5v pulse to the numbers you want to enter and then the enter key itsself.

The reason I would go this route is simply because the IR protocol changes a lot, even within direct TV's line of receivers. If you built a device around modifying the remote control, you'd be able to adapt it for many different remote controls, and many different receivers.

Does that make sense to you? Want me to build a demo of something like this?

mr_vodka
Newbie Pyro

Postby mr_vodka » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so soon Pyro!

I started re-evaluating what I was asking and started to think more in line with what you had suggested. However, I was thinking that maybe a universal remote with a macro or something could work easier since I could program the channel and the enter in one shot!

I noticed that some of these even have a timer macro but unfortunately from what I have come across, it only seems as though it can be scheduled for daily, weekly, etc; not for minute intervals.

So I guess I still have to have a means to trigger it on a timer. Some kind of relay switch perhaps? I dunno.

A demo would be sooo sweet.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi Mr. Vodka,

Yea, a universal remote would be a good alternative option. The direct tv remote above I found at a supply store for $2.50 so I didn't feel bad about tearing it apart, I know some universal remotes can be pretty expensive.

If you have any experience with microcontrollers, the design would be you setup a timer to count every second and then enter in how many seconds until sending pulses to the controller to tell it to change channels. From that point you can make it more complex to suite your individual needs.

Let me think of a good way to demo this and I'll get back to you here.

mr_vodka
Newbie Pyro

Postby mr_vodka » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 pm

I was looking at this from radioshack as a guinea pig. ( sorry wont let me post the link due to anti spam )

radioshack
ProductId = 2454734

Here is what I am trying to do. I am trying to have a hidden device change the DirectTV to a set channel like every few minutes. Ultimately this device would be mounted to the ceiling or something.

Furthermore, it would be great to have a remote to turn this device on/off as well. Like a kill switch to have it be disabled. A simple hand held clicker such as this shouldnt be too hard no? Something about as small as a car remote.

I tried sending a message backchannel but not sure if you got it.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi Mr vodka,

Adding a kill switch like that, tacks on a certain level of complexity to the original idea. Anything wireless is complicated, as you've already seen with just getting IR working. So, it's not impossible, just another layer of difficulty for the idea.

As for attaching it to the ceiling. Although I'm not really into 'covert' stuff, you should realize it would be fairly obvious because of the size, with the current idea of modifying the remote. I'm not sure if that matters.

I'll PM you with the rest of my thoughts.

mr_vodka
Newbie Pyro

Postby mr_vodka » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Yes I figured it would add another complication lol. Its not really covert as much as it being suspended from the ceiling with line of sight.

Well I guess I will keep researching.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Return to “Request-a-Project”