Mini (Mint Tin?) VGA Tester

Pyro Project Ideas/Requests
cwsims08
Newbie Pyro

Mini (Mint Tin?) VGA Tester

Postby cwsims08 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi! I'm an Audio/Visual Technician and your VGA Test Box is the only DIY project like it that I have found thus far... but my question is, can you make a mini one? I'm thinking something about the size of an Altoids tin, with just the standard color bars signal and an on/off switch? I'd like to make one that can fit in my pocket and easily accessible.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi Cwsims,

You definitely could since only 5 I/O pins are required. Red/Green/Blue/Vsync/Hsync. Using a smaller PIC 8-10 pins and building your own PCB board, it would fit inside one of those mint-tin cans. You could probably even use proto-board and wire-wrap it together.

Give me a week or two and I'll put a project together.

cwsims08
Newbie Pyro

Thanks!

Postby cwsims08 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks! Just as an after thought, I was thinking of making the same type of test box, but something with a 1/4" or 1/8" jack that produces a mono audio tone for testing audio feeds. Same thing- on/off switch, but maybe add a volume level dial. I was bringing it up now, thinking maybe if it could fit in the same box, you'd have an A/V tech tester of MONUMENTAL proportions.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Cwsim,

Adding an audio tone would mean 1 more I/O pin and a little more software. I'll look into it as I'm building the project. Generating audio tones is quite simple with micro-controllers compared to generating VGA signals.

Return to “Request-a-Project”