IR Radar

Pyro Project Ideas/Requests
ZacLevi
Newbie Pyro

IR Radar

Postby ZacLevi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:53 am

Hi all,
I was interested in adapting the Personal IR Radar project into an Ultrasonic/Sonar version. I'm planning on using the device in water, so IR would recieve interference from reflected light from the water. I've had a look at a few U/Sonic Transducers on the market and the only sensors that are small enough only have te two pins. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to convert this circuit?

Cheers,
Zac

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:38 am

Hi,

The frequency of the system you would have to build would need to be much lower. I'm not aware of any readily available sensors for underwater applications. Any sensors you buy would need to be altered heavily.

The basic theory: use a low frequency sound pulse from a speaker and catch any reflections from an object with a microphone. Beyond this theory I'm not sure what to do.

So, you'll have to do a bit of tinkering or researching other people's public work in this area. Let me know if you find any cool info on this subject. It sounds very interesting.

ZacLevi
Newbie Pyro

Postby ZacLevi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:14 am

I'm not overly interested in having it below water, although it may get a spash or two. My main concern is keeping the size/weight down, and not requiring high voltages. I've found heaps of circuit diagrams for U/Sonic 'Range Finders', these are all with LCD displays showing distance, whereas I quite liked the LED sweep that was used in the IR Radar project. I'll keep on looking for some other circuits.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:50 am

Hey,

I posted a decent article on the blog a week or two ago about visualizing the IR sensor data. It was a pc program that took the data from an IR sensor and built up the sweeping profile like in my project.

http://www.pyroelectro.com/2010/10/04/visualizing-sensor-data/

That might help you out a little in keeping with that idea. As for getting wet, I'm not sure if ultra sonics will help much either, I would have to test out how things work there. I know many public bathrooms use infrared on/off detects for turning on facets, and those are around a lot of water and still seem to work...but again, I'd have to test it out.

There's ultrasonic sensor modules you can buy for around $50 and the IR sensors are $13, so buying to test the sensors doesn't put you out a whole ton of money.

Return to “Request-a-Project”