PIC DevBoard

Questions and Comments on All Tutorials

Kevin
Newbie Pyro

PIC DevBoard

Postby Kevin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:11 pm

On microchip website, they have a new PIC32 DevBoard for only $50 and I'm thinking of buying it to learn about PIC MCU:

http://microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?Id ... odeId=2603

Any suggestions on buy a PIC dev board? :D

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:11 pm

They actually just came out with this new 32-bit microcontroller within the last week or two, I believe.

The new 32-bit PIC dev board wouldn't be very useful for you if you want to do projects mainly because its more of an example board than a developement board, it has a few sample programs and an onboard programmer.

I'd suggest getting the Olimex P-40 that I use in most the tutorials (to people who have never done embedded systems/microcontroller work before). It is a very clean, cheap & easy to use board.
After a few weeks of using that board you'll be ready to move onward.

The 8-bit microcontrollers that microchip offers have extreme flexibility in that they offer alot and only have 10-40 pins. You may have noticed alot of my projects are done simply on breadboards no PCB at all.

If/When you want to move onto 32-bit microcontrollers the Tiny ICD2 programm can be used to program them so that specific programmer that I use in my tutorials is a great investment.

Hope this helped.

~Chris

Kevin
Newbie Pyro

Postby Kevin » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:12 pm

Thanks for the info, I just order some PIC18 from Microchip but I'm still thinking of getting a good programmer board. Is there an universal board that can fit all pin sizes (4,14,16,28,40) for PIC MCUs?

Kevin
Newbie Pyro

Postby Kevin » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:34 pm

I found this amazing thing: http://www.asix-tools.com/prg_presto.htm
It can be used to program PIC, Atmel AVR, ARM, MSP430, Flash for FPGA, EEPROM, etc... and only $150 :D
What do you think?

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:36 am

Kevin wrote:Thanks for the info, I just order some PIC18 from Microchip but I'm still thinking of getting a good programmer board. Is there an universal board that can fit all pin sizes (4,14,16,28,40) for PIC MCUs?

I haven't seen a universal developement board although most PICs are programmed via
the same two/three pins. The main problem with a universal dev board is the Vdd/Vss won't
line up. Power & Ground would be going to the wrong pins. This could be remedied easily via
some jumper cables. I'll have to give it a shot sometime.

Kevin wrote:I found this amazing thing: http://www.asix-tools.com/prg_presto.htm
It can be used to program PIC, Atmel AVR, ARM, MSP430, Flash for FPGA, EEPROM, etc... and only $150
What do you think?

Looks pretty cool. At first glance I'm kind of weary at all-in-one kind of programmers because
I know I'll probably come upon some circumstance where they won't work properly where
the Atmel one would have worked fine. In the end it just depends upon the support they
offer. Programmers like the ICD2 (PIC) or JTAG/ByteBlaster(ARM/FPGA) have been around for
several years and there's alot of support for them.

$150 is quite an investment but if its the god send they claim it is, it might just be worth it.

~Chris

Return to “Tutorials”