Altera Quartus Version

Talk about the fifth PyroEDU course here.
BigTuna
Newbie Pyro
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:37 am

Altera Quartus Version

Postby BigTuna » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:47 am

Which version of the Altera Quartus software should we install for this class?

Also, does the CPLD board for the class have an on board clock?

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:24 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Altera Quartus Version

Postby ThePyroElectro » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:55 am

BigTuna wrote:Which version of the Altera Quartus software should we install for this class?

Also, does the CPLD board for the class have an on board clock?


Hello,

We will be using Altera Quartus II 13.0. Lesson 2 will show you where to find it and how to install it.

The CPLD breakout board used in this course does not have an onboard clock. Instead, we will be using a low-voltage 555 timer (ICM7555) to provide the CPLD with a +3.3v clock signal. Using a 555 timer will allow us to easily change the frequency.

Bingo600
Newbie Pyro
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:22 am

Re: Altera Quartus Version

Postby Bingo600 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:35 pm

ThePyroElectro wrote:We will be using Altera Quartus II 13.0. Lesson 2 will show you where to find it and how to install it.


@All
Don't try to install 13.1 :?

It doesn't support the MAX 3000 CPLD's i just fpund out the hard way :cry:
And i even had to fiddle a bit getting it to run correctly on Linux Mint 17 "qiana" - (Basically an Ubuntu 14.04 "trysty" inst)

@ThePyroElectro
Would installing 13.0.sp1 be alright ? , (seems like it was in 13.1) support for the old chips went away.

I don't know if i'l attend officially , as i won't pay $17 to get a $10 board shipped to EU.
I do have an EPM240 board though , a "blaster" , and the components (except the 7-seg driver).


/Bingo

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:24 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Altera Quartus Version

Postby ThePyroElectro » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:59 am

Bingo600 wrote:
ThePyroElectro wrote:We will be using Altera Quartus II 13.0. Lesson 2 will show you where to find it and how to install it.


@All
Don't try to install 13.1 :?

It doesn't support the MAX 3000 CPLD's i just fpund out the hard way :cry:
And i even had to fiddle a bit getting it to run correctly on Linux Mint 17 "qiana" - (Basically an Ubuntu 14.04 "trysty" inst)

@ThePyroElectro
Would installing 13.0.sp1 be alright ? , (seems like it was in 13.1) support for the old chips went away.

I don't know if i'l attend officially , as i won't pay $17 to get a $10 board shipped to EU.
I do have an EPM240 board though , a "blaster" , and the components (except the 7-seg driver).


/Bingo


Hi Bingo,

Yes, 13.0SP1 is actually the version we will use throughout the course, so get that one! We'll be using/installing it on Windows 7, so the install process will be a little bit different than for linux.

Since you sound like you already know a thing or two, I'm confident you won't need the exact board to follow along with what we will be doing. Just for the part specific things, you will need to choose the one you have, instead of the EPM3032ATC44-10 that we'll be using.

EPM240 is a much larger part, you'll be able to do a lot of fun stuff with that once you've gotten the basics down! (for example...vga is always fun: http://www.pyroelectro.com/tutorials/fpga_vga_resistor_dac/)

BigTuna
Newbie Pyro
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:37 am

Re: Altera Quartus Version

Postby BigTuna » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:38 am

Hello,

What is the fastest CPLD clock that we will be using on the breadboard?

Thanks,
BigTuna

Bingo600
Newbie Pyro
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:22 am

Re: Altera Quartus Version

Postby Bingo600 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:44 am

@ThePyroElectro
Thanx for the feedback.
I'm a "fpga/cpld" beginner , and have never made my own design , or anythig besides a "done demo" in ISE.
I have installed quartus 13.0sp1 yesterday on Linux Mint 17

I have a few Xilinx parts , including 50+ 9536 cpld's that i hope to be able to use as "glue logic" after this course.
Wished it was ISE we used ....

I'll attend but have vacation in week 32,33,34 and i'm not sure if "swmbo" will allow me toying with electronics during that time. But i'll join.

/Bingo

Bingo600
Newbie Pyro
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:22 am

Re: Altera Quartus Version

Postby Bingo600 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:15 pm

ThePyroElectro wrote:
Bingo600 wrote:
ThePyroElectro wrote:
EPM240 is a much larger part, you'll be able to do a lot of fun stuff with that once you've gotten the basics down! (for example...vga is always fun: http://www.pyroelectro.com/tutorials/fpga_vga_resistor_dac/)


Just had a quick glance , the schematic says it's an EPM7x182 , i suppose it's a 7x128

Will look further , and hope to learn a lot :-)

Is there any libs that contains the standard HC chips ?
I mean i'd love to be able to make a HC7474 , a HC04 etc ....
Especially in "single quantities" for the buffers / inverters.

Then i can use the cpld as a level translator 5v/3v (Vio) , with my 9536's

/Bingo

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:24 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Altera Quartus Version

Postby ThePyroElectro » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Bingo600 wrote:Just had a quick glance , the schematic says it's an EPM7x182 , i suppose it's a 7x128

Will look further , and hope to learn a lot :-)

Is there any libs that contains the standard HC chips ?
I mean i'd love to be able to make a HC7474 , a HC04 etc ....
Especially in "single quantities" for the buffers / inverters.

Then i can use the cpld as a level translator 5v/3v (Vio) , with my 9536's

/Bingo

Hi Bingo,

EPM7's are just +5v parts, they're very, very similar to the 3000's series we're using.

We will be learning how to use VHDL code to build different small digital hardware elements. A data-register (similar to D-Flip-Flop) is one of them.

Alternatively, in lesson10, we'll show you how to use a non-code form of design called schematic entry to draw out the design you want. The schematic entry has many different types of standard 74xx series ICs to choose and use. I believe 74_74 is one of them.

DreadPirateRoberts
Newbie Pyro
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:35 am

Re: Altera Quartus Version

Postby DreadPirateRoberts » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:37 am

Hmmm, does 14.0 not work. I did not notice that I could download 13.0 and 14.0 is the current version.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:24 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Altera Quartus Version

Postby ThePyroElectro » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Yea, Use the webpack 13.0SP1.

Quartus II version 13.0sp1 supports all Altera University Program FPGA boards, which includes: DE0, DE0-Nano, DE1, DE2, DE2-115, DE3, DE4, and DE5-Net. Although new versions of the Quartus II software will be developed and released each year by Altera, Quartus II V13.0sp1 will continue to be maintained and updated for the foreseeable future. Universities that are using the DE1 and/or DE2 boards should continue to use Quartus II V13.0sp1, as explained below.

The Quartus II software starting from version 13.1 does not include support for the Cyclone II family of FPGAs, which are used on the DE1 and DE2 boards. This is the reason why universities that are using the DE1/DE2 boards should continue to use Quartus II V13.0sp1. As mentioned above, Quartus II V13.0sp1 will continue to be provided, updated, and maintained for the foreseeable future, and will thus continue to provide full support for the DE1 and DE2 boards. (Note that the DE2-115 board uses the Cyclone IV family, and so is not affected.)

Finally, we would like to inform you that starting in Quartus II version 14.0 there will no longer be support for 32-bit computers (Quartus II V14.0 can only be used on 64 bit computers), and also there will no longer be support for the Cyclone III devices (used on DE0 boards), and Stratix III devices (used on DE3 boards). Users of the DE0 and DE3 boards should continue to use Quartus II V13.1, or earlier.


The notice also includes Max3000/Max7000 series devices.


Return to “Introduction to CPLD and FPGA”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest