Missing the obvious

Talk about the fourth PyroEDU course here.
little_cowboy
Newbie Pyro

Missing the obvious

Postby little_cowboy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:25 pm

In Lesson 2, I also struggled with the avrdude error. Then I discovered (thanks to the Pyro checklist response) that I had incorrectly connected the reset capacitor. Fixed that and... magic.

In Lesson 3, I couldn't get the LED to turn off. Eventually I discovered that the breadboard I was using had breaks midway in the power/ground rails so the whole pushbutton circuit was cut off from +5 and ground. Added a couple of jumpers to make the rails complete and... magic.

The devil is always in the details or sometimes just staring you in the face. 8)

I do have a number of Arduino boards but this is really fun working directly with the chip.

Thanks Chris.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Re: Missing the obvious

Postby ThePyroElectro » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:01 pm

little_cowboy wrote:In Lesson 2, I also struggled with the avrdude error. Then I discovered (thanks to the Pyro checklist response) that I had incorrectly connected the reset capacitor. Fixed that and... magic.

In Lesson 3, I couldn't get the LED to turn off. Eventually I discovered that the breadboard I was using had breaks midway in the power/ground rails so the whole pushbutton circuit was cut off from +5 and ground. Added a couple of jumpers to make the rails complete and... magic.

The devil is always in the details or sometimes just staring you in the face. 8)

I do have a number of Arduino boards but this is really fun working directly with the chip.

Thanks Chris.

No problem, we're only nearly half way through the course, so stay tuned. More to come!

Hardware debugging is definitely a different process than software debugging, as you learned. Glad you figured those problems out!

Return to “Introduction to Microcontrollers”