#2 AC vs DC [Post Homework Here]

Talk about the third PyroEDU course here.
ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

#2 AC vs DC [Post Homework Here]

Postby ThePyroElectro » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:23 pm

A new lesson was posted today:
http://www.pyroelectro.com/edu/analog/ac_vs_dc/

Post your homework answers here to compare with everyone else!

Lezarkween
Newbie Pyro

Re: #2 AC vs DC [Post Homework Here]

Postby Lezarkween » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Hello !

I'm not actually posting an answer, but a question. I have stripped off what I thought was the right cable, but I guess I got it wrong because here is what was inside.

Can You tell me what cable I should take ?

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Lezarkween wrote:Hello !

I'm not actually posting an answer, but a question. I have stripped off what I thought was the right cable, but I guess I got it wrong because here is what was inside.

Can You tell me what cable I should take ?

Hello,

What you have there looks more like a headphone set for a cell-phone. You can still use this for the course, but the wire is very thin so it might be difficult getting it into a breadboard.

The best thing to do, if you have a soldering iron, is to solder a little bit onto each wire. This will add some tin to them and make them more sturdy for use with a breadboard.

Alternatively you can go to the store and get a 'stereo cable' like this one and cut off the end, the wire inside should be a little thicker than your headphone set.

But you should try using the headphone set first, as it should work with all the experiments in this course.

Good luck!

wr9h
Newbie Pyro

Postby wr9h » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Homework Lesson 2 AC/DC

Q1) DC electricity is a stable non varying form. When graphed as voltage versus time the voltage will be a constant value. AC is a varying form of electricity. When graphed as voltage versus time AC voltage will rise above (positive) zero volts and fall below zero (negative) volts. The number of positive/negative alternations in a second is called the AC frequency.

Q2) We can change or vary three things to convey "something" with an AC voltage:
a) Amplitude (distance above and below zero volts)
b) Frequency (one positive with one negative alternation is one cycle. If this cycle occurs 60 times
a second the frequency is 60Hz)
c) Phase (or form) (example:keep all alternations above zero volts for a period of time)

Q3) An O'scope allows us to actually see the AC signal! (Could be used to see a varying DC signal used in digital electronics)

Q4) The voltage from a fully charged battery will be a constant value, say, 9 volts (although the ones I used for the Wien oscillator circuit were 9.3 volts....). The voltage from a home outlet varies between +125 volts to -125 volts 60 times a second (60Hz).

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:49 pm

wr9h wrote:Homework Lesson 2 AC/DC

Good answers! All correct.

Return to “Introduction to Analog Electronics”