8x8x8 LED cube

Questions and Comments on All Projects
Newbie Pyro

8x8x8 LED cube

Postby 100k » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:14 am

Hi everyone!

I am about to start building the Jameco 8x8x8 LED cube. My question is what type of wire did people use to strengthen each layer of their cube ? I am worried if I use too much of a very light wire, it will not provide any structural rigidity to the cube. Also a wire which is reasonably straight forward to solder onto the LED legs.

I noticed in the 8x8x8 tutorial on the site, 'wire braces' were used but I'm not sure exactly what type of wire this is.
Would anyone have any advice from past experience about what wire worked best for this part of the project?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Re: 8x8x8 LED cube

Postby ThePyroElectro » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:17 am

100k wrote:Hi everyone!

I am about to start building the Jameco 8x8x8 LED cube. My question is what type of wire did people use to strengthen each layer of their cube ? I am worried if I use too much of a very light wire, it will not provide any structural rigidity to the cube. Also a wire which is reasonably straight forward to solder onto the LED legs.

I noticed in the 8x8x8 tutorial on the site, 'wire braces' were used but I'm not sure exactly what type of wire this is.
Would anyone have any advice from past experience about what wire worked best for this part of the project?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully you got my e-mail response.

In the youtube video where I build up a single layer, you can see the 18 gauge wire i straighten out, solder to the ground wires and use generally to stabilize the layer.

Return to “Projects”