Animatronic eyes & help obtaining pickit2 programmed chip.

Questions and Comments on All Projects
Bender
Newbie Pyro

Animatronic eyes & help obtaining pickit2 programmed chip.

Postby Bender » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:10 am

Howdy PyroElectro mates,

Greetings from Sweden :D
I am amazed and in awe finding this place and all the wonderful projects & tutorials.
A big thanks for sharing!

With that said I started a humble project of my own, a modest robot project.

I will move my Questions up here to save you precious reading time,
A;
A real biggie for me is the programming of the microchip, the pic, I don't have the know how or the cash for a pickit2.
I need your help mates - is there any chance there is some friend here/out there in cyberspejs also working pyros animatronic eye/eyebrows project that could program a pic microchip for my project? :?:

B;
I might be able to get some SG90 servos branded Towerpro, would these suffice/work as well as the recommended hs-55's?
C;
Aboot power source, instead of the battery pack I wonder if I could get a battery eliminator from my secondhand store? And what should the specifications say on it? (they have a pile from electrical appliances like cellphones and stuff)
D;
Is there any way to motion sensor activate the eyes and make the run for like 5 minutes or some recommended timespan?

And I would very much like to give it some animatronic characteristics, and on top of that wishlist is of course animatronic eyes and eyebrows (or rather eyelids in this case doing the eyebrows expressions)
B u t, to explain my situation in as few words I can, I know nothing about electronics (takes me half a day to plug an electric cord in the wall socket)
I can do some humble mechanical work, but as far as electronics I might as well be a monkey behind the space shuttle controls when the auto-pilot flips off.
Thus I have a lot of questions I hope some kind soul will have the patience to help me with.

But first let me introduce you to my humble build, I diddliydoodled this so far,
Robot-legs on very, very temporary stand;

Robot-torso - chestplate has sneaked away to some oblivious corner (The instant it peeks out I'll snatch that bugger!)

Robot-head, dunno if you can tell what robot I'm trying to interprete in to reality?

I am toying with the idea to make it a mailbox. That being said I would very much like it to have animatronic eyes/eyebrows and react to motion. (In my dreams it would also say random crap and insult, I mean adress bypassers and turn the head after walkers/cars passing by) I have ideas to animate arms and legs next. An example, I noticed while making the fingers that they clinked together like empty bottles - I instantly connected that sound to the robot "clinking" his 3 fingers together saying "Warrios... come out to playayayyy!"
(I hope it's not just me nerdy enogh finding such stuff funny :)
Finally it might be necessary explaining a tight budget for this project as my wallets purpose is mainly for starving moths.

Down to the Qs;
I might be able to get some SG90 servos branded Towerpro, would these work as well as the recommended hs-55's?
Aboot power source, instead of the battery pack I wonder if I could get a battery eliminator from my secondhand store? And what should the specifications say on it? (they have a pile from electrical appliances like cellphones and stuff)
Is there any way to motion sensor activate the eyes and make the run for like 5 minutes or some recommended timespan?
A real biggie for me is the programming of the microchip, the pic, is there any chance there is some friend here also working pyros animatronic eye/eyebrows project that could program a double microchip for my project out there? :?:

I would also appreciate your opinion about the animatronics,
this robot does not have eyebrows as some might know - however he has "eyelids" that does about the same facial expressions as eyebrows. What do you think about hooking the eyebrows servos to the eyelids?

Actually I started fumbling with the mechanicals before I discovered this great website, heres a pic

With hopes you mates can decipher my english, I am very greatful for any and all input you may contribute.

Greetings from Sweden,

/Bender

Return to “Projects”