Pyro Propeller Clock POV

Questions and Comments on All Projects
ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Re: Pyro Propeller Clock POV

Postby ThePyroElectro » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:39 am

sai wrote:hi
i finally compiled the .c files and got the hex files ,
can you please tell what were the size of your hex files.
mine are between 4to 5 kb is it right..

I looked at the last time I compiled that project (over a year ago) and the .hex file was 4 KB. Load it onto your PIC and see if it works. If not time to start debugging to find out if its a hardware or software problem!

link2sriram
Newbie Pyro

Postby link2sriram » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:25 am

What are the changes to be made so as to convert the project for PIC16F877A microcontroller? as i don't have the programmer for PIC18 controllers. and i've seen videos on utube displaying real time data like videos and games in this POV concept. Could u help me with that too? Thank u.

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:29 pm

link2sriram wrote:What are the changes to be made so as to convert the project for PIC16F877A microcontroller? as i don't have the programmer for PIC18 controllers. and i've seen videos on utube displaying real time data like videos and games in this POV concept. Could u help me with that too? Thank u.

There's really too many changes to list out. I used C18 compiler which is only compatible for PIC18 devices. You would need to re-write in PIC16 ASM or use a different C compiler.

My suggestion, first make a simple POV with your microcontroller, then build a second more complex one that can do real time data.

vinnet.kaushik
Newbie Pyro

Postby vinnet.kaushik » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:04 pm

i have two questions
1.im using an avr atmega32 instead of pic .will it work?
2.im have bought rgb leds instead of the green leds specified in the list.they keep changing their collect when i connect them to a power supply and.they look like regular leds though and i dont think they canbe programmed.could you please specify which rgb leds i must buy?

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:02 pm

vinnet.kaushik wrote:i have two questions
1.im using an avr atmega32 instead of pic .will it work?
2.im have bought rgb leds instead of the green leds specified in the list.they keep changing their collect when i connect them to a power supply and.they look like regular leds though and i dont think they canbe programmed.could you please specify which rgb leds i must buy?

Hello,

[1]
If you use AVR ATMega32, you will need to re-write the firmware/software since PIC and AVR are different microcontrollers and have different instruction sets.

[2]
RGB LEDs are special and to get the different colors out of them you need to understand how colors combine. Please see this tutorial:
http://www.pyroelectro.com/tutorials/rgb_led_controller/
To learn more about RGB LEDs and an example design of showing all the colors in the rainbow. That article also includes a parts list with the RGB LEDs that I used.

Good luck!

frey88
Newbie Pyro

Postby frey88 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:14 am

Hi Pyro,
Can you give advice for my few problems?

1. The fan shakes when it is on. Could it be the weight is unbalance?
2. I am using 11.0592 Mhz crystal for 4000 rpm fan but the display is not properly display. Could it be I should use 40 Mhz crystal, modify the coding or I should build fan speed control circuit?

Thanks~

Pri
Newbie Pyro

Pyro Propeller Clock POV

Postby Pri » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Hey hi....I'm making a pov as directed by you... To test it we mounted it on breadboards.
The circuit is as per the schematics and the hex file is loaded in the pic....
Wa possibly could be the problem now...??
Thanks

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Pri wrote:Hey hi....I'm making a pov as directed by you... To test it we mounted it on breadboards.
The circuit is as per the schematics and the hex file is loaded in the pic....
Wa possibly could be the problem now...??
Thanks

Well what is the problem you are having? Is the PIC powered correctly? Have you tested that the PIC can be programmed and flash LEDs? Have you tested that the PIC can talk to the latches correctly and flash an LED on the latch? Have you tested that the infrared to photo-emitter interrupt is working correctly?

Hard to debug...I'm not sure where you are at in the project :wink: so those are just some suggestions.

Pri
Newbie Pyro

Postby Pri » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:03 am

hy do i hv to configure the new pic18f252 before loading the code??

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Pri wrote:hy do i hv to configure the new pic18f252 before loading the code??

Hello,

If you want to load different programs like I did, you'll need to include a programming port on the POV. I actually included this on mine, but for some reason didn't include it in the schematic. You can see the programming port next to the crystal, just above the PIC in this picture:
http://www.pyroelectro.com/projects/pyro_propeller_clock_pov/img/pov_completed.jpg

The programming port that I used there is exactly the same as in the MPLABx project located here:
http://www.pyroelectro.com/tutorials/pickit3_mplabx/schematic.html

Which is a good example for how to interface to any 18F PIC.

Pri
Newbie Pyro

Postby Pri » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks a lot :).... Finally made the design and connections on the pcb...

But now the problem I'm getting is that there is no output.... I checked the circuit properly and also giving interrupts using IR... Haven't yet mounted on a fan.... Hv loaded the pic with hex files twice but no success...
What would possibly be the problem??
Do we have to set any internal configuration for the pic like the watch dog timer and all because our was a brand new pic....

Thanks...:)

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Pri wrote:Thanks a lot :).... Finally made the design and connections on the pcb...

But now the problem I'm getting is that there is no output.... I checked the circuit properly and also giving interrupts using IR... Haven't yet mounted on a fan.... Hv loaded the pic with hex files twice but no success...
What would possibly be the problem??
Do we have to set any internal configuration for the pic like the watch dog timer and all because our was a brand new pic....

Thanks...:)

Hello,

I turned the watchdog timer offer with configuration bits. If you didn't set them up in MPLAB, you can do it by putting the following code into your source and recompiling:

Code: Select all

#pragma config OSC = HS   // Oscillator Selection:HS
#pragma config WDT = OFF   // Watchdog Timer
#pragma config LVP = OFF   // Low Voltage ICSP(PIN 6):Disabled

One tip: when you're having trouble verifying if a program loads onto the pic, the easiest thing to do is make a simple LED flashing program to see if you can access a single I/O pin, that way you can verify your programming process is working and it's more likely a software issue.

Hope this helps.

AEWSB
Newbie Pyro

Postby AEWSB » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 am

I was wondering if this project could be done with PIC16F84A ?
and if yes will the same code be used ?
another question is that if I want to make a propeller clock how could I track the time so each time I run it, it shows the correct time ?
last question how could I create my own patterns for that ?
Sorry for the many questions :oops:

Thanks in advance :)

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm

AEWSB wrote:I was wondering if this project could be done with PIC16F84A ?
and if yes will the same code be used ?
another question is that if I want to make a propeller clock how could I track the time so each time I run it, it shows the correct time ?
last question how could I create my own patterns for that ?
Sorry for the many questions :oops:

Thanks in advance :)

Hello,

To do this project with PIC16F84A, you would need to re-write the source code. Creating your own patterns would mean understanding the source code and writing your own.

Tracking the time is easy with a microcontroller because they typically run off of a 4-20 MHz crystal which is very accurate. Included in most microcontrollers is a digital hardware timer module that can be used to keep track of the time once you have set it properly.

r_d_m
Newbie Pyro

Postby r_d_m » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:58 am

Hi,

Can i use the 74HC373 chip instead 74LS373 without rewrite the code?

Another question...

In your schematic picture, you have 16 leds. But, in project, you only use 13 leds.
The three remaining leds that you are removed is from the closest point of the center fan or the farthest point of the fan?

Thanks for the help

r_d_m

Return to “Projects”