What software do I use to open files extensions that are MCP

Off-topic Or Otherwise...Say/Ask It Here
julesfl
Newbie Pyro

What software do I use to open files extensions that are MCP

Postby julesfl » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:13 pm

I never have had to open MCP type files. So when I went searching Google, on how to open them, I received hundreds of cookies, etc., and these programs still did not work. I am trying to open the ds3loader...Which this site has referred me to. I have been an electronic tech for 25 years, but am very, very new (virgin) to programming. So I thought I would try programming a PIC. I saw a simple program, to light a LED. So I bought 10, pic 12f. So then I found out, I had to first use a bootloader to start the process. LOL. Then I found I cannot use my usb port for the 12f, etc. So finally, after 3 days and 4 hours I found the dsloader files for the 12f Pic. I got excited ! Now, I am frustrated with opening these files. You see I don't give up easily. Your probably thinking if a person can't open MCP files, they shouldn't be programming. Well, I am sure we all started somewhere, so please, let me know what to use to open these files. I zipped them open, and there they sit....thanks for any help.
No worries,
Julie

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Re: What software do I use to open files extensions that are

Postby ThePyroElectro » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:07 am

Hi Jules,

.MCP sounds an awful lot like a Microchip MPLAB project file.

Typically you'll have a .MCP if you create a project using Microchip's MPLAB IDE v8 (bottom of the page to download).

I make no judgement about people asking for help, that's the whole reason the forums and pyroelectro.com is even here....to help people.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what your setup looks like, but if you're interesting in programming a PIC microcontroller typically you do it using one of two methods:
    [1] Using a pre-installed bootloader and accessing the PIC over USB or Serial RS232.
    [2] Using a PIC programmer (like the PICKit) and loading .hex files onto the part.

Return to “Put'm Here”