MPLAB question

Off-topic Or Otherwise...Say/Ask It Here
Aaron S M
Newbie Pyro

MPLAB question

Postby Aaron S M » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:31 am

Howdy Pyroelectro,

Its me again. :)

I haven't worked on electronics for a while cause I just finished moving.
I now am using a PC instead of a laptop computer. And it has windows XP.

Still only got the JDM programmer I told you of last time.

So I have downloaded its software like last time, and went to microchips website to download MPLAB. (I also downloaded 7zip). Anyhow, the MPLAB on that site is now "MPLAB IDE v8.33".

I've downloaded that and now will be installing it into this computer right now.

(Though I am going to install it now)

I gots a nother question for you , if you don't mind :)

(first off,,... yes, every detail that was in my other posts here , is exactly the same still, ...still working on the timer project LOL, but I haven't spent much time since, on it.)

so here's the question.

1. Is the MPLAB version I am now installing , ok to use? (I assume that it is since the new version of any software is usually made better then the last.)

2. How are you?

-Aaron

Aaron S M
Newbie Pyro

Postby Aaron S M » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:55 am

I''ve installed MPLAB 8.33, and at the end, a window popped up asking "The HI-TECH C Installer is in an external executable.
It is not controlled by this installer.
It will not be uninstalled if you uninstall MPLAB IDE.
Do you want to run the HI-TECH C instaler now?
If not you can find it at C:\Program Files\Microchip\HCPIc-pro-9.65.exe"

the two options to click on was yes and no. i clicked on no.

do you think i needed to click yes to make the program for my PIC16F84A?

what is hi-tech c? and do u use it?

should I install the "high-tech c"?

Aaron
Last edited by Aaron S M on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron S M
Newbie Pyro

Postby Aaron S M » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:43 am

also, I read through one of your microcontroller tutorials just now but the video doesnt seem to show up on the page (and i do have the latest adobe flash player installed)

Aaron S M
Newbie Pyro

Postby Aaron S M » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:16 am

the video is now working

Aaron S M
Newbie Pyro

Postby Aaron S M » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:25 pm

I think I understand, somthing even better now that I have a computer that I was able to download MPLAB to. And after now seeing your tutorial again of connecting to the PIC.

Please tell me if I am correct, Pyroelectro ,

-I type the commands in a regular notepad document

-and open the notepad file into the MPLAB, the MPLAB then turns it into a hex file for me

-From there I connect my JDM Programmer and PIC to the computer using the winpic program

-Then I open the hex file into the winpic program.

-and finally, download that from the winpic into the prgrammer to the PIC.

Correct?

forgive all my questions, it's just hard to understand things when you study somthing without someone to help point out the directioin.

Aaron

Aaron S M
Newbie Pyro

Postby Aaron S M » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Pyroelectro, I am playing around with the MPLAB software I downloaded, to understand it better, I , as I said, downloaded the current one that is offered on the website. "v8.33", and just discovered somthing called "segment display designer".

may i please ask you , have you heard of this? did the other MPLAB have that feature? and if so, is that to be used for digital readout displays of a seven-segment-led?

forgive all the questions, as i work on this today i will try to not ask anymore today.

-Aaron

Aaron S M
Newbie Pyro

Postby Aaron S M » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:22 pm

I'm going through the MPLAB user guide now too.

I'm getting there faster then before, on my first day working on it since december.

so, I shall do my research through the guide as much as i can so i don't keep sending too many questions your way.

Aaron

Aaron S M
Newbie Pyro

Postby Aaron S M » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:38 pm

Pyroelectro, I just wanted to let you know. After researching these past couple days, I finally begin now to understand Just how Easy and Logical things are !!!

Ok, yes I have much to learn as I continue to study at the moment here in the home office, but, I understand now that when writing assembly language, you actually have to talk to the PIC as though you were giving directions to a driver of a car...!

Such as if I want to make a pin an output or input, I have to first tell the car (PIC), to go to Bank 1 (and literally have to type in the code which is funny enough) "goto"..!

Then to make certain when instruction (or digital number) is going out through that pin, you have to go back to Bank 0 , by doing the same.

I'm not too certain whether I am correct there exactly or not, but I'm reading up and tryin to teach myself this so. But I am excited cause I think I am finally starting to get this!!!!

It's like not knowing how to read, then suddenly reading for the first time ever !!

(is it just me, or is learning this stuff amazing or what, and also quite logical once one see's.)

Aaron

Aaron S M
Newbie Pyro

Postby Aaron S M » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:35 am

pyro, i noticed that you built a "G-force meter". I noticed somthing you used but im not sure what its called.

anyhow, its what you used to connect the PIC to the breadboard.

those things that look like long pins stickin out.

do u know what i mean? what are they called? and is it a way so as one may avoide soldering or perhaps solder easier?

or is it that "wire wrapping" i've heard of . and if so, what is wire wrapping?

Aaron

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:11 am

They're called SIPS which I wire-wrapped to and from the rest of the circuit.

Return to “Put'm Here”