Programming Language Used? And wich is best?

Off-topic Or Otherwise...Say/Ask It Here
skyriam
Newbie Pyro

Programming Language Used? And wich is best?

Postby skyriam » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:54 am

Hi Pyro, hi everyone and thanks for reading me.

Quick question: What programming language is the one you use in the projects? Is it MPLAB's C18?

I personally use MikroC PRO, what would be the pros and cons from one another? And what about C CCS? I'm really happy with MikroC, but my college teacher says that for more "professional" and "industrial" projects MikroC it's not the best choice.

I like how fast and easy finishing a project in MikroC is, and have done quite a few professional grade projects without a problem, and wouldn't wanna learn another sintaxis... specially since C18 seems a little complicated, coming from a MikroC user.

Thanks everyone!

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Skyriam,

I use C18 for all my projects. It was created by Microchip and they support it. Microchip also bought HI-TECH C fairly recently and now support that compiler as well.

I would agree with your teacher that MikroC isn't the best choice, however in the professional world the best choice merely means whatever does the job best. Most companies prefer to rely on an embedded programming language that is supported by a big company like Microsoft or Microchip. That way when things go bad, there is a support network to get things fixed.

In the end, as I see it, they all do the same thing but in a slightly different way. If you know how to use MikroC learning CCS or C18 won't be too bad.

skyriam
Newbie Pyro

Postby skyriam » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:13 am

Thanks for your response Pyro.

You're right, in the end it's the same but different.. haha. What I really like about mikroC are its libraries, for example the LCD one. I look at some of your projects that use LCD and get dizzled and confused with all that coding. But maybe I can learn a thing or too of C18, just in case.

Thanks and keep up the excellent work!

ThePyroElectro
PyroElectro Admin

Postby ThePyroElectro » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Hi,

As a side note, the C18 libraries do have LCD driving libraries:

These functions are designed to allow the control of a Hitachi HD44780 LCD controller
using I/O pins from a PIC18 microcontroller.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/mplab_c18_libraries_51297f.pdf

The tutorials I wrote for driving the 16x2 LCD's use my own functions because the point of the tutorial was to learn how to talk to the HD44780 LCD controller, not how to use C18 library functions (that's the easy way out :P ). But they're there if you want to use them....

skyriam
Newbie Pyro

Postby skyriam » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Oohh I see the light now.. thanks for making that clear. Will do some reading and examples on C18.. after all its like you say, very "industrial".

Thanks for your time :)

Servicetua
Newbie Pyro

Where is Administration pyroelectro.com??

Postby Servicetua » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Where is moderator??
I'ts important.
Thank.

Return to “Put'm Here”