and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. on August 30, 2014
1. How to Enter
- Entrant must be at least 13 years old as of July 26, 2014 to be eligible to enter the contest.
- Contest is void where prohibited by law. Entrant may reside in any country of the world.
- Entrant must create an original electronic device that demonstrates the concept Persistence Of Vision (POV) – a phenomenon where an afterimage persists for roughly one twenty-fifth of a second on the retina after the stimulus that produced it is removed.
- The completed entry must use either an FPGA or CPLD to drive the POV signals and the program must be written in VHDL
- The completed entry must be submitted to email@example.com with the subject line "PyroElectro POV Contest" and must contain:
- A compressed archive file – Zip (.zip) or Tarball (.tar.gz) only – containing:
- A photograph* of the device in a well-lit environment showing the components used
- A photograph* of the device in action in a darkened environment
- A circuit diagram describing the device as a PDF or image*
- The VHDL code for the device in plaintext format
- *All images/photographs must be in the format JPG or PNG with a minimum 72 dpi resolution
- Your name as you'd like it to appear on the Contest Entries page
- A brief description of your device and, optionally, the process used to create it
- A compressed archive file – Zip (.zip) or Tarball (.tar.gz) only – containing:
- The completed entry may not be inappropriate, offensive, libelous or defamatory, pornographic, sexually explicit, unlawful or plagiarized, as determined by PyroElectro.com in their sole discretion; must not be harassing, abusive, threatening, harfmul, vulgar, profane, obscene, violent, racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable or offensive in any way, as determined by PyroElectro.com in their sole discretion; may not violate or encourage others to violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation; may not defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal or property rights or any other third party rights, or involve physical harm to any person or animal; may not contain verbal or visual mentions of commercial/corporate advertising, including but not limited to corporate logos, brand names, and slogans; may not include any viruses, worms, corrupt files, Trojan horses, or other forms of corruptive code or content that may harm or compromise PyroElectro.com
- Entrants may enter as many entries as desired provided each is an original work
- Entries must be received by 11:59:59 p.m. PDT on August 30, 2014 to be eligible
- Incomplete, duplicated, or inappropriate entries will not be accepted and the entrant will be immediately disqualified from the contest
2. Entrant's Rights
- By submitting an entry, entrant hereby grants permission for PyroElectro.com or other PyroElectro branded websites or social entities to post any or all of the contents of the entry publically at any time and in any medium. This includes, but is not limited to, the entrant's name displayed as he or she has requrested. PyroElectro.com is not obligated to post any of the entry contents.
- Entrant agrees that PyroElectro.com or other PyroElectro branded websites or social entities are not responsible for any unauthorized use of entry contents by third parties.
- Entrant warrants and represents that his or her entry is completely original and does not infringe upon any third party intellectual property rights of any kind in any manner.
3. Selection of Winners
Winners of the contest will be selected by a panel of judges, including but not limited to PyroElectro.com staff, determined by PyroElectro.com in their sole discretion. The judges' decisions are final on all matters relating to the contest. Entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Demonstration of Persistence of Vision
- Technical skill
4. The Prizes
There will be one 1st Place Prize, one 2nd Place Prize, and one 3rd Place Prize.
- 1st Place Prize: one Basys2 Spartan-3E FPGA Development Board from Newark
- 2nd Place Prize: one 830 Point Breakout Board and one Jumper Wire Kit from The Gadgetory
- 3rd Place Prize: one DT830B Digital Multimeter from The Gadgetory
The average retail price of all prizes is $120.16 USD at the time of writing but may vary due to market conditions at the time prize is awarded. PyroElectro.com is responsible only for prize delivery; not responsible for prize utility, quality or otherwise. The prizes are awarded "AS IS" and WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied, including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. PyroElectro.com will not replace any lost, stolen, mutilated, or damaged prizes.
Contest is open to any individual anywhere in the world who is at least thirteen (13) years old as of July 26, 2014, except employees of PyroElectro.com.
6. Verification of Winner and Delivery of Prizes
The winners of the contest will be contacted directly by PyroElectro.com staff for delivery information and instructions. Prizes may be forfeited if the winner does not provide delivery information within fourteen (14) days of request or if the winner does not meet all the rules and eligibility requirements of the contest. The prizes may also be forfeited if the delivery information is not accurate and prize is returned as undeliverable. Each winner agrees to PyroElectro.com use of his or her entry for promotional purposes in any medium without additional compensation to the extent permitted by law.
This contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law and is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. This contest will be governed by the internal laws of the State of California, USA. Any and all legal actions or claims arising in connection with this contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction within the State of California. PyroElectro.com is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, damaged, garbled, incomplete, misaddressed, postage due, incorrect or misdirected entries, mail or communications, for errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, or delays in operations or transmission of information, in each case whether arising by way of technical or other failures or malfunctions of computer hardware, software, communications devices, or transmission lines or data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry materials, loss or otherwise. PyroElectro.com is not responsible for electronic communications which are undeliverable as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind, or insufficient space in entrant's e-mail account to receive e-mail messages. PyroElectro.com disclaims any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, or accessing, posting, uploading or downloading information in connection with, this contest, and reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to modify, cancel, terminate or suspend this contest should any virus, bug, technical failures, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond PyroElectro.com's reasonable control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the contest. In the event of any such cancellation, termination or suspension, a notice will be posted on PyroElectro.com and the winner will be selected from among all eligible entries received prior to such time. PyroElectro.com reserves the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant from this contest or any other promotion conducted now or in the future if the entrant's fraud or misconduct adversely affects the integrity of the contest. By participating in this contest, each entrant accepts the conditions stated in these Official Rules, agrees to be bound by the decisions of the judges and warrants that he or she is eligible to participate in this contest. By accepting a prize, winner agrees to release PyroElectro.com and their respective directors, employees, officers, and agents, including without limitation, their advertising and promotion agencies, from any and all liability, loss or damages arising from or in connection with the awarding, receipt, and/or use or misuse of the prize or participation in any prize-related activities.
8. Questions & Comments
Please send any questions or comments you might have to firstname.lastname@example.org